How to take care of your Vegan Leather accessories
by Shopify API on Sep 08, 2020
Vegan Vs. Animal LeatherVegan leather, faux leather or synthetic leather is manmade and most commonly made from plastic based fibres such as polyurethane (PU) and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Vegan leather is also sometimes referred to as â€˜pleatherâ€™ which is a term for plastic leather. The primary difference between vegan and animal leather is that vegan leather does not entail the slaughtering of animals for their hides and yet produces the same look as genuine or real leather does. Vegan leather, apart from letting you shop guilt- free, looks pretty much the same and wonâ€™t put a dent in your pockets like animal leather will.
How to clean Vegan leather productsProducts made from vegan leather are made to emulate animal- based leathers and therefore, the cleaning instructions are quite similar.
Cleaning the surface:Since vegan leather is mainly made from plastic based materials, it has a plastic coating and is inherently waterproof. This only makes cleaning your vegan leather accessories that much easier and hassle free. You can simply clean with a mild detergent or wipe your beloved product down with a damp cloth. If youâ€™ve been a little careless and may have some stains, donâ€™t worry, just follow these steps to ensure your product looks as good as new!
- Take a tiny amount of mild dish soap or laundry detergent and mix it with water
- Use a soft cloth such as a microfiber cloth or a sponge works just as well
- You can test this out on a small patch of your product, preferably on the inside to ensure that there is no discolouration
- Lastly, remember to let your product completely dry after cleaning it to prevent any mould growth
- If you have a particularly pesky stain, you can mix water with a small amount of vinegar. This will also help get rid of odours or use eucalyptus oil on a non-abrasive cloth to get rid of the stain
Cleaning the inside:If youâ€™re like us and are in the habit of storing a million things in your bags or laptop cases, it would help you to remember that prevention is better than cure.
- You can use some waterproofing spray on the inside before you start using your product.
- Pouches are a great way to keep everything organised and will prevent staining the inside lining
- Remember to clean out your products regularly to avoid keeping anything damp inside to prevent any stubborn stains
How to store your Vegan leather productsHere are some quick and easy tips to make your vegan leather products live a long, long life:
- Store them away from direct sunlight as this can cause damage to the fabric
- Prevent your leather bags from slouching and creasing. You can stuff them with paper to help maintain their structure and shape
- Use a small amount of baby oil on a soft cloth to condition the leather material. Let it dry and absorb the oil before putting it away